How to Put On a Duvet Cover
Used in luxury hotels and homes throughout the world, duvet covers are now universally recognized as the most easy-care bedding option for the home. Here are a few reasons why duvet covers have gained international popularity:
Read more about the benefits of a duvet cover here.
While caring for a duvet cover is easy, putting a duvet cover on after wash is not so simple. We have all been there: fussing with our duvet insert and cover to make sure it is put on just right. In fact, in a recent Crane & Canopy survey, almost 80% of people find it frustrating to put their comforter in their duvet cover. This is why we are sharing 3 easy ways to put on a duvet cover, all by yourself! Are you ready?
After you follow the steps below for each of the different duvet cover stuffing methods, your comforter (or duvet) should be stuffed in a way that it lays perfectly flat inside the duvet cover. For best ease of use, purchase duvet covers and comforters with interior corner ties to ensure your comforter stays in place during use.
HOW TO PUT ON A DUVET COVER: THE TRADITIONAL WAY
- Step 1: Lay the comforter flat on top of your mattress.
- Step 2: Take your duvet cover and turn it inside out. Insert your hands inside and find the two top corners. You should now be holding one corner in each hand.
- Step 3: With your hands inside the duvet cover, reach down to grab hold of the comforter’s top two corners.
- Step 4: Holding the top two corners tightly, flip the duvet cover right side out over the comforter. Give it a shake and a fluff until the duvet cover falls down to cover most of the comforter.
- Step 5: Pull the duvet cover down. Stuff the bottom two corners of the comforter inside the bottom two corners of the duvet cover. Once everything is aligned, zip it up!
HOW TO PUT ON A DUVET COVER: THE CALIFORNIA ROLL WAY
For some, putting on a duvet cover the “normal way” may still be a tad too difficult. We would like to now introduce a very unique way to make this mundane task almost effortless. This unusual duvet cover stuffing technique was inspired the art of making sushi, which is why we call this method, the California Roll. Conveniently, Crane & Canopy HQs are in fact located in sunny California.
- Step 1: Take your duvet cover from the dryer and turn it inside out. Lay the duvet cover out on top of your bed. The opening of the duvet cover should be facing away from where you stand.
- Step 2: Take your comforter (or duvet) and place it on top of the duvet cover.
- Step 3: Ensure all corners and edges are aligned neatly. The more aligned they are to one another, the better the end result. If your duvet cover comes with corner ties, tie all interior corner ties of the duvet cover to the loops on the comforter.
- Step 4: Once aligned, stand opposite of the opening of the duvet cover and begin to roll the comforter and duvet cover. Adjust the edges as you roll, making sure they are rolled together.
- Step 5: After everything is completely rolled up, grab hold of one end of the roll. Using the enclosure of the duvet cover, stuff the comforter roll inside. Continue the motion across the entire roll.
- Step 6: Zip up the duvet cover. Position the California Roll on the bed so that the zipper enclosure is aligned with the bottom of the bed.
- Step 7: Start unrolling. The unrolling motion should be a mixture of unrolling and pulling apart the duvet cover from the roll.
- Step 8: Give the duvet cover a few shakes and that’s it!
HOW TO PUT ON A DUVET COVER: THE NOVA WAY
If you remain confused or frustrated by duvet covers, our Nova duvet cover may be just the thing to solve your bedding woes. We aimed to reimagine the duvet cover for your modern lifestyle, and our Nova is the stylish, innovative result. With the Nova duvet cover, it’s never been easier to get a perfectly made bed, every time. Here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Begin with the Nova duvet cover laid flat atop your mattress, zipper side up.
- Step 2: Unzip the duvet cover’s zipper, and lay the comforter flat atop the duvet cover.
- Step 3: Beginning with the top corners, stuff the comforter into the duvet cover one corner at a time. As you go along, secure the comforter at each corner with the Nova’s convenient interior corner ties.
- Step 4: After each corner is filled and secured, shake the stuffed duvet cover until the comforter is evenly distributed.
- Step 5: Once the comforter is even within the duvet cover, zip the duvet cover right up. With the Nova, there’s no need to worry about pesky button closures!
- Step 6: Smooth and straighten your duvet cover, and that’s it! It’s time to enjoy your perfectly made bed.
Shopping for duvet covers? Sleep chic with our designer duvet covers!
Need a new comforter? Shop our cozy comforters.